Monday, August 17, 2009

Committment and Remorse, what does the mirror of this media fire glow against you and I?

I stay away from sports normally, leaving that sort of talk to the professionals and analysts, but I couldn't resist this one, whether people agree or not. I hear there's a lot of negative feedback about Michael Vick's reinstatement in the NFL, and I know a lot of folk just don't care but I think its a pretty interesting cookie to crumble.

"If I can help more animals than I've hurt, then I'm doing my part," solemn words from the once lackadaisical yet bursting quarterback. Granted it took a swift kick in reality to get him there, I know what he says is true now. I think his situation is going to be a great educational tool raising awareness on a few fronts.

Since I'm at a beach house I have the unusual luxury of having cable, and my friend put Dirty Jobs on, where they are at some factory where 80,000 chickens were hatched the day of the recording, and now they're separating male and female. Hatchlings don't need food or water for 72 hours so they can be shipped all over the US stuffed in boxes, 'no problem,' as the guy teaches us.

The manufacturing and processing of animals for consumption on industrial magnitudes is degrading to the land, the water, and our own morals. I feel no qualm with eating meat, though I choose to only sink my teeth into flesh when I know where it comes from, like where the hunter killed it. Industrial sized factory farming is quite the nasty scene, demolishing small farms, unethical and cruel. Lets get it straight I don't condone his past actions and I love dogs as much as anyone and will show no shame in kissing and hugging and playing with our canine pals. I love all animals.

I wonder how many chicken, pig, cow, and soon to be tender veal calf are killed after living lives of overcrowded cages being pumped with antibiotics and hormones because there diet is unnatural and they're stuck wallowing in the mire of their own excrement. I understand dog fighting is different, but at the same time, it's really not so different, they're both disturbing.



It's a perception issue, a cultural thing. So many have dogs they love, it makes the abuse of a dog seem so evil, but McDonald's is making millions. It's a different connection. They say pigs are smarter than dogs but a lot of the same people hating on Vick have cholesterol issues from pork. So enough on all that, but anyone hating on Michael Vick should take a good hard look in the mirror because you know what the good book says, "Judge not lest you want to be judged."

It's plain as day upon hearing Michael talk now that he is remorseful for his actions, humbled by his jail time, and wants to live a better more fulfilling life with his family and friends. And he's one of the most athletic and fun to watch players to ever toss the pigskin. We've got human murderers playing who've gotten more forgiveness than Michael. Practice Christian forgiveness as Coach Tony Dungy explained in the first press conference. So give it up haters, there are more severe atrocities occurring in our atmospheres, and he's going to do more positive good now with his place in sports than many people will ever get a chance to, so let's love our brothers and sisters and as he said, this is the land of second chances, even if you only get one.

"I think everybody deserves a second chance. You know, we all have issues, we all deal with certain things, and, you know, we all have our own set of iniquities in our life and I think as long as you're willing to come back and do it the right way, and do the right things and that you're committed, then you deserve it. But you only get one shot at a second chance, and I'm conscious of that."


Wise words.

I guess I've always been partial to Michael, being a Virginia boy and a Hokie, and since I was able to watch a moment in college football history my freshman year of college at VT, his second and final season. He moved with the grace of someone playing on another level than everybody else around him, knowing how and when to turn it on and hit the angle making it appear he moves at rates unparalleled to his defenders. Anyone who makes something look that easy has got something special.

"We all use the excuse it was part of our culture, and I don't think that's an excuse. I was kind of abiding by that rule at the time."

I'm more interested in underlying sociological and cultural problems of dog fighting than one media induced martyr.



The hardest part for me now is coming to accept the tough reality that I'll have to be an Eagles fan, but a friend already 'welcomed me to the dark side' of obnoxious and raucous fans. I reluctantly join the boat, but I'm just happy to see Michael wearing a jersey back on the gridiron, where he wants to be, where he belongs, making magic out of a savage sport, showing us athletic grace and drive, the ballet of muscle and grit when everybody around you just wants to take you down and knock your block off. Stand strong and steadfast, and good luck Michael.

No comments: