Sunday, March 29, 2009

Rumbling through the BIg Island

Back on the online world a little. A few pictures and memories of the winter.






Hawaii, Hawaii. Hawaii is hard for me to put into words. It's been a pleasure and an adventure. Today I swam with dolphins, an exciting experience with my mammalian counterparts. They are quite swift in the water and these spinners like to show it off from time to time. They were more calm this morning, only a few flying out the water with slippery acrobatic moves, but they were magical nonetheless. We also snorkeled in some fine fine waters of the Kealakekua Bay next to the Captain Cook monument. I was reminded of the Curse of Lono and Steadman's drawings. There was a plethora of fish, all shapes and sizes, the coral looking like some complex crazy brain with the cerebral curvature and seeming folds and bulges.

Makalawena was by far my favorite beach on the island, soaking up the teal crystal clear waters and the silky smooth sand of this pristine tropical beach. I got to swim with a sea turtle and witnessed a whale breaching in the distance. Morning yoga and making chairs in the sand is etched in my memory, a beautiful and joyous scene at one great place to camp.



Green Sands Beach comes in a close second for its awesomeness, geology, sweetness, and relative remoteness. Another place that absolutely blew my mind, I was taken aback by the view. Great bodyboarding along one of the southern most points in the United States. Olivine is a semi precious gem that has accumulated there, partly because of its weight and how the tides hit this southern tip, partly because there was a large concentration of olivine in this area that underwent seismic and volcanic activity. Green Sands is out of this world. I adore it.



Gecko's loved the nectar on these trees early in the morning.

No comments: